The General Needs Loans Program provides interest free loans for general needs. The loans can cover expenses such as the following:
- Medical or dental expenses
- Hearing aids
- Debt consolidation
- Car repairs
- Home improvement costs
- First and last months rent
- Bridge loans
- Moving expenses
- Coronavirus Financial Impact Loans
- Emergency needs due to lost wages
- Child care costs due to closures of school
- Medical costs
Who May Apply
The Borrower must live in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Monmouth, Middlesex, Passaic, Sussex, and Union counties. The Borrower must be a member of the Jewish community or work for a Jewish organization. The purpose of the loan must be to alleviate some financial need. The Borrower’s spouse is also required to sign the loan documents.
General Needs loans have varying repayment terms depending upon the purpose and amount of the loan.
General Needs Loans over $2,000 require an Endorser who is a New Jersey resident, and loans above $5,000 require two Endorsers who are New Jersey residents.
A grace period of approximately 3 months is given before repayment begins.
Who May Be an Endorser
An Endorser must be a New Jersey resident, who is credit-worthy. Endorsers may not be a member of the clergy, or political office holder or on active duty in the military. A person may not be a borrower and endorser at the same time. The Endorser must fill out an information form and is required to sign the applicant’s loan documents.
How to Apply
HFLNJ understands that all information it receives is strictly confidential.
A loan application is completed by the Borrower and any Endorsers. The loan application can be accessed here. After the loan application is completed, a representative of Hebrew Free Loan of New Jersey will reach out to the Borrower. The applicant must provide a valid New Jersey drivers’ license number and social security number with their application.
HFLNJ may require the applicant to submit additional documentation or proof of statements contained in the application. HFLNJ also reserves the right to verify any information submitted by, or on behalf of, an endorser.
Once the loan is granted, a completed copy of the promissory note will be returned to the applicant. Any endorser will also receive a copy of the promissory note as well as the loan approval letter.
It only takes a simple call or email to start the process:
- For residents of Essex, Hudson, Morris, Sussex, and Union Counties, contact Malkie Ratzker at (973) 637-1739
- For residents of Middlesex County, contact Debby Alter at (732) 777-1940, ext. 1119
- For residents of Monmouth County, contact Leslie Kornfeld at (732) 588-1805, ext. 13
- For residents of Bergen and Passaic Counties:
- for loans above $5,000, please contact Malkie Ratzker
- for loans below $5,000, contact Laura Brody at (201) 791-8395
HFLNJ loans are funded entirely by community donations. If you would like to contribute as we anticipate the need to be greater than ever, please click here.